Thursday, July 15, 2010

Pretenses.

Freedom. It's pretty awesome right? I absolutely love living in a country where I can wake up in the morning and just go to the beach, or go to the mall and not have to walk nine miles to a creek to get the water for my shower. I know, I may not agree with everything the government says or does all the time but, I do love our country. To me, the United States is a little eccentric. I like it though. It’s fun to be different. We've got guns, gays, crazy clothes, nice cars, parades, concerts...we've even got Lady Gaga. If you ever have the desire to put on a wig and wear a dress made out of Kermit the Frog puppets, then you are definitely in the right place.

Every single person that I have ever met from a foreign country has said that America is difficult to comprehend. I’m going to have to agree with them. I mean seriously, *there, their, they’re** to, two, too* Is all of that really necessary? Obviously the United States is…different compared to most countries. In America, you can risk your life for your country when you are 18, but you cannot buy alcohol until you are 21? You’re an “adult” at 18, but you can’t buy a house, a car, or even register for college without the help of a parent or guardian? I just don’t get it.

How is all of this supposed to work? Are you supposed to wake up on your 18th birthday, move out and live your life as an adult? That can’t be right. So what is? When are you really an adult? Can you live in your parents house after you are 18 and expect to be treated like an adult? I always thought that that was the way it was supposed to be. Well, as long as you kept things within reason of course. Just because you’re an “adult” doesn’t mean that you can invite your friends over to your parents house every night to play beer pong and have keg stand contests. I’m not that deranged. Considering who my father is, the only reason I would even make an effort to do something so absurd is if I were attempting suicide. (Which would NEVER happen.)

Everyone’s different. I get it. Peoples parenting skills vary tremendously. I get that too. I also understand that whenever you have children, you don’t want to see them grow up. Especially your first born. I get teary-eyed whenever I think of how much my little brother and sister have grown, and they’re not even my children! So yeah, I get it. But, there has got to be some point when you just have to realize that your children are going to grow up whether you like it or not. Now, I’m not saying when your children turn 18 kick them out of the house and only invite them over for Christmas dinner. But, there has to be some kind of understanding between the parents and their children. Just because they live in your house does not mean that they are still five years old. You have got to learn to trust them, and let them live their lives. But we know, “while they live under my roof, they live by my rules.” You can’t protect them forever. Not even while they’re living with you. There is a fine line between what’s acceptable and what’s not. And to be brutally honest, by the time your child is 18 they are already going to have a pretty good idea between right and wrong. You raise them their whole lives just so they can differentiate between the two, after so long there’s nothing more you can really do but believe in them and hope that they make the best decisions. Truth is, they've probably already got their minds made up as to what they are going to do anyways.

Maybe I’m just a boring, old soul, but I think I have a pretty good idea between what is right and what is not. I don’t mind having fun, but you’ve got to think logically before anything else. Now, I understand that when you turn 18 all of the rules don’t just fly out the window, but there has to be some kind of happy medium. Maybe if the United States didn’t have so many crazy double standards then this wouldn’t be so difficult. But, until then we’re just going to have to find out on our own what works and what doesn’t. Some people will succeed, others will fail. All in all, it will be worth it because even if it doesn’t work for you at the time, it will just make you stronger in the end. I wish everyone the best at figuring out all of these annoying pretenses that we have to deal with in life. All you can do is stay positive and pray for the best.

XoXo
-Sadie

1 comment: